If you’re looking for some fun debate topics, then you’re certainly in the right place. Keep on reading for all the fun topics to debate for students of all ages.
Debates in class are a nice way to get students thinking about how to present their ideas and opinions in an organized way and of course, get some practice with public speaking.
Fun Debate Topics
Here’s a nice list of fun topics for debating that you might want to try out.
- Which are better, cats or dogs?
- Is it better to be smart or beautiful?
- Would you rather be very tall or very short?
- Living forever would be terrible. Do you agree or disagree?
- Smartphones make us stupid. Do you agree or disagree?
- Aliens are living among us. Is that true?
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
- Do British people sound smarter because of their accent?
- Should students be allowed to use phones in school?
- Is computer gaming a real sport?
- Are dogs smarter than cats?
- Would you rather be deaf or blind?
- Would you give up a finger for $100,000?
- Would you rather travel 100 years back in time or 100 years into the future?
- A bear and gorilla are going to fight. Who would win?
- The world would be a better place if all the leaders were women. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is it ever okay to cheat on an exam?
- Is dancing a real sport?
- Which sport is more boring: golf or curling?
Find out more would you rather questions for adults.
Fun Controversial Questions about Food
Here are some questions about food that can lead to some funny debates.
- Pepsi or Coke?
- McDonald’s is the best fast food restaurant. Do you agree or disagree?
- Pineapple doesn’t belong on pizza. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is it ever okay to eat pizza with a fork and knife?
- Is square pizza better than round?
- Do organic fruits and vegetables taste better?
- Going vegan can save the world. Do you agree or disagree?
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 153 Pages - 01/03/2023 (Publication Date)
Funny Debate Questions about Relationships
Check out these relationship questions that can lead to some fun debates.
- Are customers always right?
- Can men and women ever really get along?
- Do men gossip as much as women?
- Should you kiss with your eyes open or closed?
- Is it okay to keep secrets from your partner?
- It’s better for women to not get married. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is online dating a good or bad thing?
- Arranged marriage vs romantic marriage?
- Should people be allowed to date co-workers?
Tips for Conducting Fun Debates
There are a few ground rules that you should consider when setting up the debate with your students. Here are the most important ones.
#1: Establish the Rules of the Debate
When using fun debate topics, it’s easy for students to get emotional when arguing their side. That’s why you’ll need some ground rules set up. Here are the ones I use with my students:
- Listen when others are talking.
- Wait until others are done talking to being speaking yourself.
- Keep your answers short and concise.
- Always speak calmly.
- No ideas are stupid ideas.
- It’s just for fun! Take a deep breath and stay calm if you feel yourself getting a bit angry.
#2: Allow some Time for Planning and Research
Debates are more fun if all sides are well-informed and have a solid plan for how they will present their points. Allow some time for this in class and I’m sure you’ll find that the debate will go much more smoothly.
#3: Pay Attention to the Time
There are various formats for debates. I generally do something like the following:
- 2-3 minutes for each side to present their argument.
- A few minutes for each side to question the other one.
- 1-2 minutes for each side to give a final summary of their position.
Use a countdown timer to assist with this and keep things moving along.
#4: (Optional) Writing Homework
A debate like one of these ones listed above is a nice lead-in to an argumentative essay on the same topic. Consider assigning it for homework.
Fun Topics to Debate: Join the Conversation
Do you have any fun controversial topics that you’d like to add to the list? Please leave a comment and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Do you need some more ideas? Check out these silly debate topics.
Last update on 2022-06-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API